Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Smothered Burrito (With A Twist) Recipe

     Meals like today make me believe that I could be vegan. I mean. If I had to.

     Meet the Sweet Potato Smothered Burrito aka Whip Up Something With Whatever Is Lying Around…er…Burrito.



Sorry for the ONE horrible picture. I didn't think about taking photos until I was in the middle of eating it!
    


My husband and I are big Mexican food fans. I could live off of Mexican food for life. I am part Mexican, and clearly got the I-Love-Mexican-Food gene.

So… anyway, on to the burrito!

     I just got home from a walk, and when that happens I tend to want to carry on the semi-healthy moment I’ve got going on.
     I jumped in bed next to my video game playing husband, and began to rattle off all the food that is in the house (it’s about time for a trip to the grocery store I think). The meal was originally going to be sweet potato and eggs in a tortilla. But it quickly escalated to a delicious smothered burrito! 


I used:

1 can of tri-blend beans
1 can of refried beans
1 can of green chili enchilada sauce
1 cup of white rice
2 sweet potatoes (cut in to bite size pieces)
A handful of baby spinach
Seasonings to taste (I used cumin, salt, pepper, garlic and chipotle chile spice)
Garnishes of your choice (I used sour cream, cheese and taco sauce). Obviously not vegan with my cheese and what not. Cilantro would be amazing!

     I brought a pot of water to a boil, and dropped in my sweet potatoes, cut in to bit size pieces and let it boil for about 10 minutes or so. Just long enough so that they’re mostly soft (I then drained and put them in a pan to get a little bit of a crisp on them while they finished cooking).

     While the potatoes were boiling, a got my water ready for my instant white rice (in the future, I would use brown rice or quinoa). After it was done cooking I added the seasonings to the rice.

     I added the boiled potatoes to a pan with some oil, and added the seasonings to taste. I like food that’s a little spicier, so I may have gone a bit overboard with the chipotle. After they browned a little bit, I tossed in my can of tri-blend beans, and continued cooking until everything was heated. I then heated up the refried beans and the enchilada sauce while the potato/bean mixture was warming.

     I then got my tortilla, spread out a bit of the potato/bean mixture, scooped on some rice, added some spinach leaves and then taco sauce. I wrapped it up and smeared some of the refried beans over the top, then drizzled on the enchilada sauce, put on a dollop of sour cream, and topped it off with some cheese.

     You’d never know there wasn’t meat in this! It was so filling, and I’ve found that sweet potato can easily take the place of meat when seasoned correctly (one of my all time favorite foods because of it’s taste and versatility).

     So there you have it! Our take on the Smothered Burrito, from our home to yours. 


                            Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment