Thursday, January 22, 2015

DIY Deodorant

      The past few months, I've been inspired to really take this year to live cleaner and healthier. I, in no way, have this perfected and have a long way to go before I've reached where I want to be. Ideally, I would like to be able to make my own makeup, shower products, etc for a cleaner, healthier me.

     My first step, was cutting out deodorant. I know. Ew. But, it's been brought to my attention again and again how terrible the ingredients in deodorants and antiperspirants are, and I know I could go to the nearest Trader Joe's or whatnot and probably pick up a natural choice, but being the DIYer that I am, I wanted to make my own (run on sentence much?).

     So! Here is my shot at my own deodorant. 


     Grab a cute little jar, and make some for yourself. It's seriously so easy, and most of you probably have these ingredients around your house already.

     Are you ready for the secret recipe? Here it is! 

1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
6 Tablespoons Corn Starch

Scoop in to your cute little jar, and give it a good shake. And bam! Your very own homemade deodorant. It's that simple.

     I apply mine with a cotton pad, but you can use cotton balls, your fingers, what ever floats your boat. It's inexpensive, and you're not polluting your body with aluminum and other unwanted materials. 


     I found the recipe on the Frugal Ain't Cheap Blog. Please check out her experience of this deodorant! 
     I have been using it for two days, and I definitely have a...natural...scent. BUT it's not strong, and I spent most of the day outside in the California sun and I can't really smell myself unless I am trying to smell myself. 

     I might try adding another scoop of baking soda in a day or two to see if that helps. The original source talks about having a natural "funky" smell, that will eventually go away as your body detoxes after the years of deodorant use. Fingers crossed that it works! One woman commented and suggested putting a few drops of lavender or other oil on a rag and putting it in the jar so the powders take on the scent. Might be worth a try! 

     What are some healthy changes you want to make in your life this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment